Friday, December 12, 2008

Finn's Birthday

And what a day it was. I am fuzzy on the timeline of the day, but here is what I remember:


I had been having mild contractions all day that were anywhere between 10-20 minutes apart. After midnight they started getting a little more frequent, but were still mild. I searched online awhile to see if I was being a paranoid first time mom or if I should go ahead and call the hospital. I finally decided at about 1:30 to just go to bed and if the contractions were strong enough to wake me up, I'd call the hospital. I had just drifted off to sleep and my water broke. I woke up Wes and off we went to the hospital driving through the first snowfall of the year.

Like I said, everything is a bit fuzzy for me, but I remember several hours of continued mild contractions and no dilation. At some point I was given pitocin to help me along. After 11 hours of steady contractions growing increasingly stronger, I finally gave in and got an epidural. It was magnificent. I continued to have contractions for the next se4veral hours, but never dilated past 8cm. At some point, Finn started reacting negatively to the contractions. His heartbeat would dip during the contraction and then would spike after it. I also had a fever and the doctor was concerned about the affect these things were having on Finn so they decided to give me a c-section. I was really disappointed, but was also concerned about Finn.
At 11:00 they wheeled me to the operating room and Finn was born at 11:27. He was 8 lbs, 1oz and 20.5 inches long. As soon as he was born, they held him up for me to see and then took him to the other side of the room. Wes was called over to cut the umbilical cord and then they took Finn away. We later found out that he had some respiratory issues and at some point his veins collapsed and there was a lack of blood flow. I don't remember all the details because the neonatal doctor came to talk to us after we got back to the room and all I heard him say was "he is doing fine now." Because of these things and the fact that I had a feve4r during labor, they decided to keep Finn in the NICU. He was on oxygen and antibiotics, but was eating well and responding normally. Wes got to go see him that night, but I didn't get to see him until the next day and we didn't get to hold him until Tuesday. We got to take him to our room Wednesday at about 5am and we all headed home Thursday early afternoon. It was not the way we expected things to work out, but we are just grateful that he is healthy and is doing well.
He is steadily gaining weight and is a great little guy. He sleeps from about midnight to 9am without any fuss and we have to wake him up for feedings (knock on wood).

No comments:

Post a Comment